You can easily improve your book and even articles when you overcome these 7 reckless writing habits.
The 7 Deadly Sins of Writing:
- Starting a high number of sentences with the word “I” and talking about yourself a lot. Frequently try to start sentences with “you”. It’s much more engaging and interactive to the reader.
- Writing about something you don’t know a lot about or don’t have a lot of experience in. For example, avoid writing about being a parent if you don’t have kids, marriage of you don’t have a spouse or traveling if you never go anywhere.
- Using the same adjectives and adverbs over and over again. Words like interesting, amazing and really are just a few examples of this.
- Taking 10 pages to say something that could have been said in 2 pages. Be succinct and use brevity when ever possible.
- Writing in big blocks of of long sentences and paragraphs. Make your sentences easy to read by not making them to wordy. Also, occasionally use visual aids, bullets and numbers which makes things more skimmable.
- Telling a story without an easily clear point. End your story with transitions like “the reason I’m telling you this is…”, “what I learned was…”, or maybe even “as you can see the lesson here is…”
- Editing your own writing. You always want someone else to review what you wrote and not just for spelling and grammar either. That’s easy. Have them make sure you used the right word.
This is just a few of the skills you will develop in my new course On Purpose Publishing. Do you have a book you’re working on and want a call with me to discuss your publishing options? Let’s talk!
David T. Fagan
Owner of Icon Builder Media
To see the full edition, go to this link:
David T. Fagan
The “Icon Builder”, Former CEO of Guerrilla Marketing, Founder/CEO of Icon Builder Media
David T. Fagan is the former CEO of Guerrilla Marketing, which sold over 23 million books in 62 languages all over the world, as well as the former owner of LCO Communications, a Beverly Hills PR firm that has represented 58 Academy Award Winners, 34 Grammy Winners, and 43 New York Times Best Sellers.
He has been featured on Fox & Friends, the Today Show, The Washington Post, Forbes, Investor’s Business Daily, Your World with Neil Cavuto, Fox’s The Five, and What’s Happening Now to name a few. He’s won major awards for publishing, publicity, and even the Entrepreneur Educator of the Year Award from Inc 500 Infusionsoft.
David is the best selling author for several books including Word Genius: What to Say and How to Say It, Guerrilla Parenting: How to Raise an Entrepreneur, Cracking the Icon Code: How to Become an Icon in Your Industry Through Your Advice, Image and Expertise, and Becoming Significant: How to Invoke Sacred Words that Unlock Real Power. He’s an International Speaker in places as far away as Dubai, Bangladesh, Kenya, and Australia. He has shared the stage with everyone from Former Secretary of Defense Dr. Bob Gates to Mark Victor Hansen.
David is the father of 8 children, (4 girls and 4 boys) and even has two grandchildren. He is married to Isabel Donadio-Fagan and they live in the Phoenix, Arizona area.